April 27, 2012 | Langrock News

Rights of Out-of-State Same Sex Couples Expanded

The Vermont legislature has passed, and Governor Shumlin has signed into law, H.758, a bill that will allow same sex couples from out-of-state, who came to Vermont to be married or to join in a civil union and then went back home, the right to obtain a divorce or a dissolution of a civil union in Vermont.  Under the new law, such couples can obtain a divorce or a dissolution in Vermont if: they got married or entered into a civil union in Vermont;  their home state doesn't recognize their marriage or civil union;  they don't have any minor children; and they file a stipulation as to all aspects of the divorce or dissolution and waive the final hearing.